Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Songs can hurt...

" I listen to classical music and church music mostly nowadays. Stay away from songs these days "

My friend, JP, told me one day.

" How's that ? You dont like pop songs or oldies or love songs "

I queried. After a while, she answered

"It gets to my emotions too much."

I understood. Songs can hurt.


JP was still hurting, still recovering from the wounds of her last relationship which made her lost faith in men.

For a moment, I was transported back to my past, reliving that kind of emotional pain. I was very depressed then. When I happen to hear songs broadcast over radio, it kind of touches a raw central nerve and you feel pain rippling from your heart. Tears will begin to flow uncontrollably.

It was a time when many song lyrics could wreak havoc on my emotions. It was like raw wounds expose to the air - no skin to protect it. The slightest breeze can hurts.

Maybe it happened for a reason, I had this thought. It made me able to emphatised with other people's pain now. Else I wouldn't have understood how songs can hurt..... if I hadnt experienced it myself.

Like Meredith said in Grey's Anatomy, many of us are emotionally battered and damaged in some way.

1 comment:

Fengel said...

Hmm... better stay after from that radio show "love songs and dedications". It's like rubbing salt into wounds