Friday, May 11, 2007

Intrusive questions....

I have been in job-hunting mode for about a month. And I got lots of intrusive questions from interviewers that quite baffles, annoy and IRRITATE me... ! Yeah... i am pretty irritated & upset at the way some people ask questions which have no relation whatsoever to the position I applied. I dunno why we allow these people to ask intrusive, rude & invading questions like that.

Number one irritant ... Are you married ?
  • Why does one know if I am married or not, unless you are my secret admirer or plan to be my lover. Does being married or not married make me a better or lesser performer ? Why do I get the feeling i get is that married folks, especially ladies, have a lower value in the job market ? Or does employers stereotype folks who are single as potential workaholics that they want to hire ?
Number two irritant .... Do you have kids ?
  • Does it matter at all ?? This is kinda pretty personal question to ask someone you met for the first time.To this question, i was pretty pissed off and retorted coldly with "Why do you need to know?". The interviewer meekly explained to me that they just wanted to know if I am able to do some light travelling. So should the question be changed to "Can you travel ?" instead of "Do you have kids? "
Number three irritant ... Spouse details
  • This is usually one of the columns on the applications form you are required to fill up upon arrival at the interview venue. What the heck ? Tell me... are you hiring me or hiring my spouse ? Why do you care at all ? I am just so so very curious that I really would want to know who designed these forms and exactly what intention is behind this question. I tend to leave it blank, as I do with all those fields that I consider irrelevant such as Race, Religion etc. I am just tempted to put Religion as "Havent decided yet"
I am not sure if this is a norm in Malaysian job market, but I seriously think this should not be the way to recruit employees. Lots of company claim to have "equal employment opportunity" policy. Why bother to ask these questions then if you do not discriminate against gender, marital status or race/religion ?

2 comments:

jelly said...

Uh..job hunting sucks, I totally understand. But they never asked me Qs like you had before.. you can check out the journey of my job hunt at http://whocanoffermeajob.blogspot.com/

ForYoYo said...

Are you still out there? I'm job hunting and I'm older and yes, it sucks. I'm moving out of "relief" to have finally gotten the dreaded layoff (expected for 5 + years), and into depression that no one will hire me. I haven't gotten weird questions on the < 5 phone interviews, just very TEKKY questions that I'm not sure what they mean, NOR do I think THEY know what they mean.... Ah, i hope it gets better adn by now you are working.