Sunday, July 6, 2008

On tattoos and hypocrite ....

My brother came to me some day back, happily and obviously excited about the prospect that he is going to get a tattoo. He jabbered excitedly about not sure whether to tattoo it on his butt, his arm or his thigh.

I stared at him coldly, and said "Bro... are you out of ur mind ? You wanna engage in self mutiliation and make papa disown u, izzit ? " Whoosh... a whole bucket of ice-water poured over his head. The big smile on his face quickly disappeared, and you can see his excitement just fizzled off like a balloon. Trying to undo the damage, i lamely tried to console him ... "Maybe you can get the stick-ons ones. They are nice too."

And yes, my father is the kind who thinks that even highlighting one's hair is a unacceptable form of not appreciating what nature gave you. The idea of tattooing is definitely gonna make him drop his spectacles and choke over his cup of coffee. No way ....

But I did highlight my hair, and lied to my father about it. My father have a bit of colour blind. And I even thought of getting a tattoo for myself. Why then, was I so harsh on my poor brother ? I'd often thought it would be nice to have one nice tattoo on my hip. But the one time that I seriously comtemplated about getting a tattoo is when I was feeling down. My partner and I had our share of ups and downs in our relationship. At one point, when I look up, the sky looks gray all the time. The emotional pain within can only be allleviated by inflicting physical pain. Tattoo sounds like a good idea then. Its a weird idea that physical pain can contra out the emotional pain somehow. Its like some kind of psychological equation.

Fear is a good thing sometimes. The rational side of me won. But that makes me a hypocrite, doesn't it ?

1 comment:

Huai Bin said...

I know what you mean about emotional pain only being able to be blunted by physical pain (or self-medication with drugs) being a cutter myself, having piercings and tattoos and er...a bit of an ex-drug user.

Do it only if you're sure you'll not regret it.

About hypocritical actions, hey, don't be so hard on yourself. We'll all hypocrites to a certain extent. I won't be able to accept a drug user for a gf even though I used to be one. *shrugs*

sixthseal.com