Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Fading away ...

Last weekend I made a visit to my grandpa. It hurts to see grandpa look so frail and bony when he happily greet us at the door. He has been sick for some time. As mom and I were sorting thru his daily medicine intake, the packets of tablets, syrups on his daily menu is shocking. He is living on painkillers to make his journey bearable. I would have taken a picture of his medicine if I hadnt think it would be rude.

I was never granpa's favorite grandchild. Nor has he been my favorite grandparent. But that day, oddly I sense a strong loving affection from granpa. He was weak, croaking hoarsely but still try to upkeep his sense of humor. There was a strange warmth in his eyes that is only found when grandparents look at grandchildren.

This is all-the-more heartbreaking to see him wilting away in front of my eyes. Saying that granpa have not been a saint in his entire life, has to be an understatement. He has done many wrongs in his life. But at that particular moment, all that's past does not matter - all is forgiven.

To see someone wilting and fading away causes such pain....... when I can only offer my prayers.

No comments: