Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Its Thaipusam again...

I was watching news on TV. Tommorow is Thaipusam in a Visit Malaysia Year. Tourist interviewed were impressed with the colourful event and all. Hmmm.... shh... let me tell you something, i ... errr... as a malaysian... have never been to the Thaipusam event before. Nope.. i have never break coconuts before. Hehe.. this is a bit embarassing. ( Dont scold me for this ... )

Sadly, in my entire life, my exposure towards Thaipusam is only from text books and TV, Astro mostly. If I were asked to explain what this festival is all about, most likely the fellow will get a blank look from me. As far as I remembered, I have always been interested to witness this religious festival ... how they carry kavadi and march through the streets, and how folks piercing their skins with steel rods, needles and not feel a pinch. It certainly is very interesting...

When we were young, my mom forbids us to even get anywhere near the thaipusam celebrations places. DISCLAIMER : This is strictly my mom's version. Dont know how much truth in it, or where she got the idea from.

We were told, there are spirits around. We were told the spirits are invited into the body of the devotee and thus protecting them from feeling pain. For people with a weak minds and children especially, the spirits could decide to "take over" the child and thus making it a "not-safe-for-kids" event. So that explains why my siblings and I never got to go for this yearly event.Back then, parent's word are as good as the law. Any objection are overruled.

When I grew older, none of my friends seems to have to interest to accompany me to go watch the celebrations. Avoid the traffic jam, the weather is hot... and a whole long list of other excuses more. My husband is even worse, the adamantly refuse to go anywhere slightly crowded. Sigh.... I know I could have gone by myself if i were persistent enough. But its no fun, right ...

I guess this year, another year passes - this item will still remains as one of my To Do List.


Some readings on Thaipusam
http://allmalaysia.info/msiaknow/festivals/thaipusam/
http://www.tvsmith.net.my/picturestory/thaipusam.html

No comments: