Monday, June 9, 2008

Stirring Odissi - stirring some thoughts





I like art galleries.

Much as I would like to believe, but it isnt because I have much artistic gene running in my blood. I just find art galleries refreshing. Like a breath of fresh air. A fresh perspective.

While I was waiting for my date to turn up, the KLCC Petronas Art Gallery caught my attention. Must admit the free admission made it more interesting. I had plenty of time on hand, so I just strolled in. My first time there. Never knew why I never notice the place before. Too busy shopping, maybe.

The theme was Stirring Odissi. I have no idea what Odissi meant until i read the brochure. It's one of the 8 type of Indian classical dance style. There are quite a few life-size huge portraits that i liked. Portraits of people with expressive, big eyes, nice cheeks staring back at you from the wall - so full of life, so real, so emotional. It's hard to explain. One must see to feel it.

These is one of the few that I like - I scan it off the brochure, so the quality isnt so good.



I had a primary school classmate, her name is Annakilli. Her parents send her to learn traditional Indian dance since she was young. And she has the passion. Sometimes, she will tap her feet around dancing when teacher is not around. Almost every year's teachers day, she will be up there for a dance presentation. I think it is a good thing to send children to learn classical dance, lest the culture dies off.

I rarely hear of Chinese parents sending kids for traditional dance class. They are usually send for computer classes and mind mapping classes instead. Pragmatic bunch of people, perhaps ?

No comments: