Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ever got stuck in a lift ?

Yesterday, I had a big scare of my life.

I have been staying at high-rise buildings for at least 5 years. Maybe I was lucky, but I never got trapped in a lift before or heard friends got stuck in lift before. So it seemed like a very far-fetched thing that only happens in movies. But, there is a first time for everything... i guess

I was making my way to the lift, and then there I saw the dustbin was obstructing the entrance to the middle lift. There are three lifts in the place I stay. "Must be someone's prank" - I thought. So I moved the dustbin back to its original place, being a civic-minded citizen that I am.
"Ding" .... finally the lift came, and the lift in the middle opened. After moving a few floors down, the lift suddenly jerked to a stop, as it something stuck in its path. My heart almost stopped too. I looked up - it was 18th floor. At that moment, what flashed through my mind was... " no one would survive a 18 floor drop". My hands and heart felt chilly. I was alone in the lift. I dunno if it would felt better if there was someone else.

I frozed for dunno how long, holding my breath, and half expecting the lift to succumb to gravity any time. Then, I regain my senses and pushed the emergency button. I was so so relieve to hear a voice coming through... you have no idea how relief that was.

"Lif berhenti la..." i meekly said.

"Block mana - lif mana ? " the guard asks

I was so shaken at that time, that I couldnt recall which lift it was. Shouldn't their system know the intercom is coming from which lift ?

While I was trying hard to recall, the lift starting moving again.

" Lif jalan dah" I told him. Then all was quiet. I looked up, it was at 15th floor. I quickly press the 13th floor and hopped out soonest possible. I was so shaken that my knees felt weak.

Later I complained to the guards about the incident, and why they did not ward off the lift.

Lesson learnt : Next time I see a dustbin obstructing the lift door, maybe it means that the lift should not be use. I wont try to be busybody.

3 comments:

Fengel said...

Oh dear, poor you! Getting stuck in an elevator is one of my most feared nightmares... hope it never happens to me...

Kew said...

dont you just miss your rumah teres?

purple girl said...

yes, i do miss my rumah teres very much.

this is one kind of experience you wouldnt want to go thru ...