Friday, April 20, 2007

Generation gap

I was down in KL last weekend, and had a great time catching up with old friends. Old friends, such that you never meet for years but can still chat on-and-on-and-on for hours. It just felt like time freezed - there was no time gap. We talk about our work, our family and everything else under the earth. I had a real happy time.

Maybe it is a coincidence, but I think the timing gotta have sth to do with hitting 30s. A few of my KL friends made a change in career direction recently too. My decision about my career was not understood by my family. My parents didnt really freak out, but they dont feel comfortable about me leaving a good job at a good company. They couldnt understand why one need to leave a job if boss is fine, work is fine, pay is fine......

Guess what, my friend J, was telling me about similar problem she had to deal with her family too. Her parents does not understand her career decisions. They would prefer she stayed on her job with a prestigious company even though the prospect is not so good there. I guess parents secretly want their kids to work in a big-name company, where everybody goes " oh... that one". Not the kind that would generate response like "huh ?.. what company again" ...

I dont blame them for not understanding.... we live in different era, we have different values altogether. We see the world thru different glassess. Maybe thats why we dont see eye-to-eye on some matters.....

Stability is the word. My parents did not have to worry much about career prospect. They join the teaching profession, and they become teachers till they retire. In between, there would be worries about how much yearly increment they get - either "melintang" or "mendatar" thingy. My parents married in their twenties, and plan to honour the marriage by "till death do us part". They buy a house, and make it their home for the rest of lives. They spend every effort and every dime to make the house a better place to live.



I perceive life today has much more variable factors, and much more decisions to make. Constantly on crossroads. Ambiguity is the word. Most of us have to think about career prospects, plan our career movements. How do you know if you current job is what you want to do for the rest of your life ? I have to manage my marketability and ensure my skills will meet market needs. This time, i took a brave step to make myself available on the job market. Try something new, something different..... Maybe too many options is not a good thing.



For my personal life, I dont have unshakeable faith that my marriage will last forever. My policy would be hope for the best, try my best to make the relationship work, but always be prepare for the worst. After all, marriage is another gamble right. Who knows when either of us can have a change of heart .....

Our current house, I call it my first house. Meaning, we plan to have second house and so on ... Having this in mind, sometimes we dont spend so much on current home. My mom keep nagging me to do this, do that house improvement ideas... while i would like to remain status quo for anything that will cost $$.

I guess all this sums up to generation gap. Something that i need to learn to deal with better.

1 comment:

narrowband said...

Interesting take on the career switch. I will be embarking on a career soon (final semester in university), and it is a very tough phase in life. I have been attending interviews, and I must admit, not all the companies dealt with my field of study.

Often I get the question during interview "What are your interests", "What can you offer the company". Every interview is very different and I have to be prepared to answer different answers - depending on the company's nature of business.

I'm still in a lingo and looking for more offers.