Sunday, March 16, 2008

My childhood memories..

I vote Facebook as the social network web of the century !

Today i have a nice surprise in my facebook mailbox. My primary school friend found me ! She was my best buddy during the six years. We were 'sisters' then, the 6 of us solemnly swore as sisters. Haha.. those memories that I cherish came flooding back !!

Few weeks back, I went back for the very important event of the year -- voting !! The voting center was my primary school. My school looks pretty much the same as in my memory, except the lalangs were taller than I remembered.

The classsroom looks the same. The padang, where we had our sports and netball sessions were the same. I was always the goal keeper bcoz of my height; and it was not too fun. One year, after continuous rain for few hours, the padang flooded a few meters, cutting the school off from the main road. I remember excitedly watching the water level rose.

The room where the sister gave us bible study lessons was still there. Sister was an old nun from England. Her face is quite vague in my memory but I always remember that she is always calm, kind, full of love and taught me to draw a pigeon holding a leaf in her beak. My interest in Christianity started back then.

The hall where we do 'pendidikan jasmani' also still there. There was where one of my classmates did 'lompat tinggi' and broke her leg. She was the best in the class at that time, I was the 2nd (being lanky that I was). After that, I too, freak out and din do my best anymore. I purpose allow my feet to hit the pole so that I wont have to jump at the higher height.

The toilet was still located at the far-end of the west side, a separate building near the fence. Over the fence was the cemetary. It was no longer a cemetary, got some new structure over there. That toilet brings back much memories, especially the horror stories we heard about 'hantu' in those dark, smelly toilet. The horror did turned into a real event when a snake was found coiled up in the toilet bowl. In the end, the gardener was called in to 'tackle' the snake.

The school canteen looks smaller than I imagine. When we were young, things around us seems bigger. I remember my first experience of eating a green colour kuih, which is made of sago. Back then, I was told ( forgot who ), that the kuih is actually a stack of frog eggs ...!! Eeeeww.. u can imagine I stayed away from those kuih for many many years, until the truth is known .

I like my school. Time seemed to stopped there. Nothing changes much. Constant, can be a good thing. The next time I go back there, I will make sure to bring my camera along.

No comments: